Some of the best vantage points to watch Sydney’s New Year’s Eve fireworks displays will be free for the public.
Government-owned sites around the harbour foreshore will be open to 60,000 people.
NSW Premier, Chris Minns, said the change makes good on an election promise.
“This is an important milestone in making our city accessible and enjoyable for all,” he said.
A ballot system will be used to allocate the 6000 front row positions for the world-famous fireworks on the Cahill Expressway at Circular Quay.
Free viewing areas include: Barangaroo Reserve, West Circular Quay (including First Fleet Park), Campbells Cove, Hickson Road Reserve and locations in the Royal Botanic Garden Sydney and The Domain, including Mrs Macquarie’s Point.
Tickets to those areas previously cost up to $520.
Most of the vantage points will operate on a first-come, first-served basis, with monitored capacity limits in place.
Each vantage point will be closed once capacity is reached.
The ballot for tickets to NYE on the Cahill Expressway 2023 opens at 9am on September 5 and closes on October 6.