Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has declared all of New South Wales and the ACT COVID-19 hotspots and confirmed the state will close its border this weekend.
As of 1am, Saturday 8 August, all visitors that have been in NSW or the ACT will be denied entry to the state.
Returning Queenslanders will be required to complete 14 days mandatory hotel quarantine at their own expense.
The Premier said the hard border closure put Queenslanders first.
“I said that when the moment came, I would not hesitate,” she said.
“That moment has arrived.”
BREAKING: Queensland borders will close to New South Wales & the Australian Capital Territory from 1am Saturday, August 8.
— Annastacia Palaszczuk (@AnnastaciaMP) August 4, 2020
The Queensland border is also closed to all of Victoria.
“Victoria hasn’t improved as we hoped and I won’t wait for New South Wales to get any worse,” said Palaszczuk.
“I will not risk our state’s economic recovery by allowing COVID to spread. I will do everything I can to protect Queenslanders and the economy.”
Deputy Premier and Health Minister Steven Miles said recent incidents showed a blatant disregard for the law.
“The selfish and reckless actions of a few people are putting the safety of our community at risk and threatening to undo all of the good work of Queenslanders so far,” he said.
“I urge Queenslanders not to travel interstate; the risks are too great. Stay in Queensland and stay safe.”
The border closure will be reviewed at the end of the August.
All the latest information on Queensland border and event restrictions is available here.