The Victorian Government has confirmed a number of Melbourne’s lockdown restrictions will ease from tonight, on the advice of the state’s chief health officer.
Acting Premier James Merlino said the recent case numbers mean the state can “take some first safe steps” to easing out of lockdown.
From 11:59pm Thursday 10 June, metropolitan Melbourne will move to almost the same settings currently in place across regional Victoria.
This means the five reasons to leave home will no longer apply in metropolitan Melbourne and the existing 10-kilometre limit will be increased to 25 kilometres.
“But wherever possible, we’re asking people to stay local,” said Merlino.
“That means the only reasons to go further than 25 kilometres will be work, education, care and caregiving and getting vaccinated. And travel into regional Victoria to visit family and friends or take a holiday still remains a no go – for now.”
What restrictions are easing?
Cafes, restaurants and pubs will reopen, however strict safety measures like density limits, seated service and QR codes must be in place.
Visitors to the home will still be restricted, but outdoor gatherings will be increased to a maximum of 10 people.
Weddings will be limited to 10 people, while funerals and religious gatherings will be capped at 50 people.
Entertainment venues and community facilities will also open subject to density limits.
In a statement, Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre said it is currently working with the Victorian Government to understand how the new restrictions will apply to the venue, including maximum capacities and upcoming events.
Workers will still be encouraged to work from home amd masks will still be mandatory in all settings outside the home.
In regional Victoria, restrictions will also ease to allow two visitors and their dependants into homes, while the limit on public outdoor gatherings will be increased to 20 people.
What support is available?
In addition to the second round of business funding announced last week, the Victorian Government will extend financial support for closed businesses with a further $2,000 top-up payment for eligible applicants.
The government has advised tourism businesses in regional and metropolitan Melbourne that receive the new tourism supplement payment will not be eligible for this top-up payment.
Meanwhile, details on the $20 million Victorian Events Support Package are still yet to be released. Stay tuned for more updates.