Fire and Emergency New Zealand (FENZ) has scaled back its presence at the New Zealand International Convention Centre (NZICC), following the major fire that took hold of the construction site last week.
FENZ confirmed the last flare-up occurred on Monday evening (28 October) and they are now working alongside construction company Fletcher Building to assess the site.
“Fletcher Construction has been assisting in providing resources including large cranes for accessing and examining the scene,” FENZ confirmed via Twitter.
“It isn’t yet known how long the investigation will take.”
Fletcher Building committed to the project
Fletcher Building CEO Ross Taylor said the assessment process is likely to take months to complete.
“We will work with fire and emergency services, SkyCity, regulators and insurers to complete these assessments,” he said.
“We will then be in a position to look at how we reset the project and determine the impact on the delivery timeline.”
Despite the significant damage to the centre, Taylor remained adamant the company will complete the project.
“We are all devastated to see the project we have worked so hard on impacted this way and while our timeline will change, our resolve will not – and together with SkyCity we remain committed to delivering a world-class convention centre for Auckland and New Zealand,” he said.
Fire NZ thanks Auckland
Meanwhile, FENZ has thanked the Auckland public for their support during the NZICC fire incident.
“Thank you for your generosity and support while we responded to the SkyCity Convention Centre fire,” the organisation posted on Twitter.
As well as social media, FENZ have taken to the streets to say thanks, displaying a large billboard message this week.
Have you seen the billboard at Victoria Park yet? 👏🚒 pic.twitter.com/NJxKyLiLVJ
— Fire and Emergency New Zealand (@FireEmergencyNZ) October 25, 2019