Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre’s (MCEC) $200 million expansion is progressing as scheduled.
Once complete, the extension will add an extra 20,000 square metres of flexible, multi-purpose event space to the existing structure, making it Australia’s largest convention and exhibition space at over 70,000 square metres in size.
A multi-purpose area with a retractable 1,000 seat theatre and additional adaptable meeting rooms are two of many flexible features throughout the new building.
Of the new space, MCEC chief executive Peter King said, “To date, we have secured or are in the process of contracting over $15 million of revenue in the new space, which will be ready to house events from July 2018.”
Other key features of MCEC’s expansion include:
- A banquet room to accommodate up to 450 guests
- 9,000 square metres of pillar-less exhibition space
- Informal networking spaces
- An outdoor event courtyard
- A balcony area to host 150 guests for cocktail functions
- A new multi-level car park
- A new 331 room hotel