Bonnie van Dorp escapes to Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort to soak in the sun, take in the dramatic landscapes, wander through sleepy villages, and learn about what the island paradise has to offer groups.
Phuket has been a beloved hotspot for Aussies for a long time, and for good reason. It is well serviced by domestic and international carriers, well connected to major tourist attractions (think Patong Beach and the Big Buddha), while also having the infrastructure to accommodate mega events. Once known for its tin mining offering, today Phuket’s main economic contribution lies in its thriving tourism industry. Whether it’s an authentic cultural experience you’re after, or a tranquil escape from the hustle and bustle of real life, Phuket has a little something for everyone.
Spacious and filled with light, the rooms at Outrigger Laguna Phuket have everything you could need for a short or long stay. Many of the rooms offer gorgeous views over the tranquil lagoon or front the gently lapping waves of the beach. Choose between 12 different room types, each offering a different experience. Those who elect to stay in Club, Suite or Villa Rooms will also get exclusive access to Voyager 47, the resort’s premier club lounge. Privileges for club level rooms include: personalised guest reception and check in; a la carte club breakfast; all-day non-alcoholic beverages, tea and coffee; light snacks; daily evening cocktails; special rates at the Banyan Tree Spa Phuket and more.
Function Rooms and Event Spaces
The grand ballroom can host up to 350 delegates theatre style or 290 guests for banquets. There’s also three flexible meeting spaces to choose from that can accommodate up to 220 delegates in theatre format. However, what makes Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach so special is its array of outdoor event spaces. The property gives you the best of both worlds – a tranquil lagoon to gaze out upon and a picturesque beachfront, both of which, form perfect backdrops for classy soirees and grand banquets.
Team Building Activities: Batik Painting
Need a fun, interactive team building activity that is sure to get the creative juices flowing? The resort’s signature Batik Painting class is an activity that can be customised for visiting groups. The ancient art form — which is very similar to water colour painting — originates from Java, Indonesia. To start, a piece of cloth is stretched out to form a canvas, and an outline of your design is created using wax. Participants will then fill in the design using vibrant dyes. Fun idea: have the resort’s resident artists create a design using your company’s logo to really personalise the experience.
Pre-conference touring options in Phuket are aplenty, with a variety of cultural and culinary experiences to take part in. Visit a fresh market in Phuket Town for a glimpse into local life, and sample local tropical fruit (we dare you to give durian a go), or go on a self-guided street art tour and take in the vibrant colours splashed across restored heritage buildings.
Food and Beverage
There are three restaurants onsite, each offering a unique flavor. Choose between Locavore Restaurant, an all-day restaurant with a strong focus on locally sourced produce; Edgewater, a beachfront alfresco style grill; or Metzos, an authentic Mediterranean establishment (an anomaly in Phuket!).
Meeting the Standard
Earlier this year, Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort passed all systems tests to earn the official Thailand MICE venue Standard (TMVS) accreditation, a rigorous system developed by the Thailand Convention and Exhibition Bureau that applies ISO quality standards to food safety, security systems, energy management and the administration of sustainable events.
The inclusion to the prestigious program followed a detailed submission and onsite inspections by the Thai government’s MICE Capabilities Development department.
Outrigger’s area director for sales and marketing for Thailand, Rory Campbell, said: “With TMVS accreditation, our sophisticated Similan Ballroom MICE setup at the Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort has been officially recognised as among the best in Thailand.
“We will now proudly take that message to event organisers who are seeking to create meaningful and rewarding corporate events in Phuket.”
- Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach offers 225 guest rooms, complemented by eight suites and a single two bedroom villa
- Onsite amenities include three restaurants, a swimming pool with a waterslide, a variety of sports activities, beach services, pool bar, international tennis academy with indoor and outdoor courts, squash and badminton courts, complimentary Wi-Fi and more.
- For meetings and events, the resort’s function spaces are completely decked out with state-of-the-art audio visual equipment.
Extend and Stay Post Conference: Outrigger Koh Samui Beach Resort
Just an hour away from Phuket by flight, sits Outrigger Koh Samui Beach, a secluded boutique resort surrounded by swaying palm trees, crystalline waters and private plunge pools. While this property is not marketed as a MICE hotel, it does make for a fantastic post-conferencing option for delegates should they wish to extend their stay in Thailand.
- Try your hand at soap carving, a popular applied art in Thailand. The resort brings in a master carver who will sit down and show you step-by-step how to create and sculpt gorgeous floral sculptures.
- Take part in an authentic Thai cooking class with Outrigger Koh Samui Beach’s executive chef Khun Tor. Learn how to make classic dishes such as Som Tum (Thai papaya salad), Tom Yum Goong (spicy and sour prawn soup), Tom Kha Gai (coconut chicken soup with galangal and lemongrass) and Goong Makham (prawns in tamarind sauce).
- Cool off from the tropical heat by taking a dip in your own private plunge pool
Phuket MICE snapshot
- Airport: Phuket International Airport
- Number of convention centres: 18
- Number of unique venues: 79
- Accommodation capacity: 516 hotels, 40,579 rooms
This article first appeared in the Ma